baslinux - Re: [BL] Swapon

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Swapon
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 16:56:00 +0000

russ loroville wrote:

> I have noticed that on reboot the swap file remains
> but all of the values are 0 (total=0, used=0, free=0).

That's because you have not told the kernel to use the
swap file. When you reset the computer, the system
forgets all the things you told it to do last time.

> If you use the line "swapon /swap" it creates the below
> readings(total=8188, used=0, free=8188).

Now the kernel knows that you want it to use the swap file.
BTW there is nothing special about the name or location of
the swap file. For example, you could call it George and
put it in /tmp. Then, the command would be:
swapon /tmp/George