baslinux - [BL] dhcp vs static network addressing

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] dhcp vs static network addressing
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 08:46:57 -0500 (CDT)

This is more of a general inquiry than BL specific, but the question comes
up in the wake of some networking experimentation I've done using BL.
Close enough? I just have a basic question about the use of dhcp for
assigning network addresses as opposed to using static addressing. As I
understand it, dhcp is most useful for large networks where assigning and
keeping track of addresses and the machines they're associated with could
be a real nightmare, to say the least. But I guess that, even for small
networks it could ease things a bit. I chose static addressing for my
network because I felt I could understand more readily how it works than
dhcp. But before going off on an exposition of what I've done and what I
think (ill-informed as that may be), I should just ask for other peoples'
input on dhcp vs static addressing for small (home?) netwroks such as
mine. What are the pros and cons of each? Can dhcp and static addressing
be employed on one and the same home network, or are these methods of
network addressing more or less mutually exclusive?

Thanks, James