baslinux - Re: [BL] dhcp vs static network addressing

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] dhcp vs static network addressing
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 08:31:08 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Otto Werner wrote:

> > > Can dhcp and static addressing be employed on one and
> > > the same home network, or are these methods of
> > > network addressing more or less mutually exclusive?
> >
> > I suppose it would be possible to segregate a block of
> > addresses from the DHCP server, and assign those manually.
> > But, I don't see the point. If you've got the DHCP server
> > controlling most of the network, you might as well give it
> > the lot.
> >
> But if you use a laptop at home and abroad , at home assignd statically,
> abroad per DHCP ?

It seems to me (not from long experience, but from deduction) that
implementing both would be much less of a problem for a client than for a
server and/or whole network. On a client, one could probably create a
simple script that would run on bootup and would ask the user to choose
between dhcp or static addressing. The dhcp choice would start the dhcp
daemon, while the static addressing choice would just execute ifconfig
eth0 192.168.x.x . Having done very little script writing, I'd have to
puzzle for a while over how to do this. But maybe others will have a
ready idea of how it should look or will find my idea in error.

James