baslinux - Re: [BL] BL and root/user

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL and root/user
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 06:08:12 +0000

keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:

> I attempted, as 'user', to use Kermit and was not
> allowed to access the modem.

This is precisely the sort of problem I was talking
about. The "user" login does not have permission.
On a Unix-type multi-user system, ppp and other network
setup is not done by ordinary users.

> Is there some easy way to get the modem to work for 'user'?

Yes, but it's tricky getting all the bits & pieces correct.

> If I run the risk of some javascript invasion using Opera
> as root, I will try to use it as user instead.

A simple way to deal with this is to login as "user" on tty1
and as "root" on tty4. Run X and Opera from tty1. When you
are ready to connect, hit Ctrl-Alt-F4 (to go to tty4) and
execute ppp-on. Then hit Ctrl-Alt-F5 to return to Opera.
If you are using icewm, you will see the little square appear
when the connection is ready. To terminate the connection,
hit Ctrl-Alt-F4 and execute ppp-off.