baslinux - Re: [BL] Debian packages and busybox

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Debian packages and busybox
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 09:57:07 +0000

keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:

> > pkgtool creates those files. If you use tar to install
> > packages, nothing will appear in /var/log/packages
> > (nor will the installation script be run). That's
> > why I thought it was important for BasicLinux to
> > provide the full pkgtool utility.
>
> But I have these packages files and I have been installing
> with installpkg, not once have I installed with pkgtool.

There is nothing wrong with using installpkg (I use it
myself). installpkg is just a subroutine of pkgtool.
It puts the package into the pkgtool database and runs
the installation script. No problem.

Installing with tar (which you suggested earlier) is
quite different. It does not add the package to the
pkgtool database and it does not run the installation
script.