baslinux - Re: [BL] Notes on X11 keyboard mapping

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Notes on X11 keyboard mapping
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 09:50:00 +0000

keesan2 AT cyberspace.org wrote:

> since the BL2 kernel cannot be used with sound, can I
> have TWO linux kernels (zimage and zimage2) in my DOS
> directory and two different batch files (boot and boot2)
> to load them, so as to load the larger kernel only if
> I want to play with Realaudio?

Yes, that is a good way to boot with different kernels
(or partitions). I often do that myself. Currently,
I have slack35.bat, slack71.bat, bl2.bat and boot.bat.

> What kernel would I need if not bare.i, to be able to
> load a sound module (SB16)?

bare.i is probably the best (until you compile a custom
kernel for your hardware). You will probably need to
get the sound.o module from Slackware 7.1 (and put it
in the /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc directory). Then:
insmod sound trace_init=1