baslinux - Re: [BL] pdftotext works?

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: dkaufman AT rahul.net
  • Subject: Re: [BL] pdftotext works?
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 09:45:13 -0400 (EDT)

I have not heard back yet from Doug Kaufman about whether it is okay to
post the pdftotext he compiled at the Basiclinux download site. (He also
has pdfimages and pdftops). I sent him the output of my test file from
the DOS and Linux pdftotext.

Here is the output of another pdf convertor - pdftohtml (installed on a
FreeBSD server). It produces three html files, in this case
hobal.html (lynx shows this as 'links' 'rechts')
hobal_ind.html (view it with lynx and you see Page 1 and Page 2)
hobals.html (attached - this is the text itself)

I have also attached hobal.pdf.

Here is the text equivalent (via Lynx Print) of the html. It is closer
in output to the DOS pdftotext (four copies of the first line, other
lines chopped up rather short) than to the Linux pdftotext (where
the words all got run together). To use it as a downloader you would need
to view filenames.html not filename.html from filename.pdf

[output from FreeBSD pdftohtml]

Step 3: Balanced Scorecards [four copies of this line]
Step 3: Balanced Scorecards
Step 3: Balanced Scorecards
Step 3: Balanced Scorecards
The [rather short lines]
Balanced Scorecard is a single
performance measurement system combining
financial and non-financial measures.
The Balanced Scorecard
monitors the critical
areas of your business and reports how well
you are doing.
Balanced Scorecards
facilitate strategic
planning, improved customer service, real-time
problem solving and quality analysis.
The Balanced Scorecard
is fast becoming one
of the most important management tools for
creating value.
Matt H. Evans, CPA, CMA, CFM
Rt 4 Box 1154
·
Salem, WV 26426 U.S.A.
Phone & Fax: 1-877-689-4097
·
Email: matt AT exinfm.com
·
www.exinfm.com
2
My role is to facilitate the process of building a Balanced
Scorecard for your organization.
1. The Real Source of Creating Value
Creating value comes from all parts of your business. Everything from
employee development to
product innovation. Here are some quick examples of value-creation:
!
Extremely efficient operations (like Federal Express).
!
Exceptional customer service (like Wal-Mart).
!
Outstanding product quality (like Nike).
!
An emphasis on product innovation (like Michelin).
!
Re-inventing how the marketplace works (like Amazon.com)
Your organization must create value in everything you do it's no
longer good enough to just focus on
financial performance as a measure of creating value.
2. The Need to Measure Non-Financial Performance
Since value is created all over the place, you need to measure the
non-financial parts of your business.
And remember, things that get measured get done! The system used for
measuring the non-
financial parts of your business is called the Balanced Scorecard.
This is your third step in Creating
Value through Excellence in Financial Management.
3. The Overall Process
The process for building a Balanced Scorecard includes:
1. Identifying critical success areas within your business.
2. Leading a cross-functional team for developing individual
scorecards.
3. Coordinating the design of an enterprise-wide scorecard based on
individual scorecards.
4. Linking your strategic plans to the design of the Balanced
Scorecard.
The Balanced Scorecard is a dramatic change in how performance is
measured. It represents
one of the leading edge tools in strategic management. I encourage you
to explore this new
integrated systems approach to performance measurement.