baslinux - [BL] pdftotext works?

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] pdftotext works?
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 12:19:38 -0400 (EDT)

I downloaded a small pdf file at random and ran it through both the DOS
and the Linux versions of pdftotext. The Linux version is 5 times the
size and a lot newer. The DOS version does not have the '-' switch to put
the output on the screen instead of in a file. Neither of them produces
terribly good output from this test file.

This is still better than nothing, I think. And it is quite fast.

I think the Linux version when viewed with less chopped itself up into 80
column lines so you could read it. After a while the lack of spaces
stops being such a challenge. Scribes used to write without them to
save space on the precious parchment. Let's consider this a feature
instead of a bug.

I don't understand why the author did not use html, which is half the
size.

[output from DOS pdftotext]

Step 3: Balanced Scorecar
Step 3: Balanced Scor
Step 3: Balanced Scor
Step 3: Balanced Scor ds
ecards
ecards
ecards

The Balanced Scorecard is a single
performance measurement system combining
financial and non-financial measures.

[The rest is readable]

[Output from Linux pdftotext:]

Step3:BalancedScorecards

TheBalancedScorecardis asingle performancemeasurementsystemcombining
financialandnon-financialmeasures. The Balanced Scorecardmonitorsthecritical
areasofyourbusinessandreportshowwell youaredoing. Balanced
Scorecardsfacilitatestrategic planning,improvedcus

tomerservice,real-time problemsolvingandqualityanalysis. The Balanced
Scorecardis fast becoming one ofthemostimportantmanagementtoolsfor
creatingvalue.

MyroleistofacilitatetheprocessofbuildingaBalanced
Scorecardforyourorganization.

1. The Real Source of Creating Value Creating value comes from all parts of
your business. Everything from employee development to product innovation.
Here are some quick examples of value-creation:

[the rest is readable]