baslinux - Re: [BL] Mozilla on a 486-66 with 16mb RAM

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Mozilla on a 486-66 with 16mb RAM
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 09:30:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 7 May 2003 qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Somebody mentioned a while back that the VGA16 Xserver is slow.
> They sure got that right! Mozilla was hopeless when displayed
> on VGA16 (running on the 486). The SVGA Xserver was much, much
> better. Even though it was running 800x600x256 resolution, it
> was significantly faster than 640x480x16.

The author of flwriter mentioned VGA16 is slow. Anyone know if the mono X
server is faster or slower? I have used it with Opera.

svgalib used with my Trident 8900 1M RAM VESA 1.2 compatible card, at
640x480 resolution, only displays 8-bit color. The same card in DOS with
programs that use VESA displays 16 million colors (24-bit). Will the X
SVGA server display 8 or 24-bit color from this card?

Do you need a VESA compatible card to use the X SVGA server or is it like
UNIVESA (adds a universal VESA driver)? UNIVESA only works in up to 8-bit
color. svgalib appears to act like UNIVESA.

Congratulations on making two computers faster than one. Just imagine
what you could achieve by networking two P166s! Do you do this with just
one monitor and keyboard? Would the better video card go in the P166 or
the 486?