baslinux - [BL] Mozilla on a 486-66 with 16mb RAM

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Mozilla on a 486-66 with 16mb RAM
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 13:14:41 +0000

For the last 30 minutes, I've been browsing with Mozilla
on my 486-66 with 16mb RAM. Very smooth scrolling (with
just the tiniest hint of a stutter), drop-down menus that
display instantly, and a responsive mouse. All in all, a
positive browsing experience. One that I would be happy
to have every day.

Mozilla, of course, is the number 1 Linux browser. It
does everything: mail, news, java, plug-ins, you-name-it.

Some of you may be wondering how this is possible, how
the corpulent Mozilla can work so well on a pathetic
486. The method is not new, some of us have discussed
it before (on the survpc list). It worked for me several
years ago when I ran X+icewm on a 386 (8mb RAM) and used
Netscape 3.04. The method still works with Mozilla on
a 486. Anybody got an idea I did it?