baslinux - Re: [BL] XServer

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] XServer
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 07:19:20 +0000

Yong Beng Ong wrote:

> I'm trying to configure my video display to a higher
> resolution...it says I just need to replace the xvg16
> with my Xserver..so here's the problem..what is the
> file to replace with at least a 16 bit color??or to a
> video card of higher resolution that would be suitable
> for my hardware??

First you need to find out what video card is in your
computer. What is its name? If you do not know its
name, the following might tell you:
-------------------------
SuperProbe -verbose -no16
-------------------------
The no16 parameter is for old PCs. Leave it out if
you are sure your system has no ISA cards.

When you know the name of the video card, select the
Xserver designed for it:
x8514 IBM8514
x3dl GLINT 500TX, GLINT MX, Permedia, Permedia 2
xagx AGX-016, AGX-015, AGX-014, XGA-2
xi128 Number Nine Imagine 128
xma32 Mach32
xma64 Rage: 3D, II, IIC, II+DVD, Pro, LT Pro
xma8 Mach8
xp9k Diamond Viper, Orchid P9000, STAR 2000
xs3 Trio32, Trio64*, Aurora64V+, and most other S3 cards
xs3v ViRGE, ViRGE/DX, ViRGE/GX, ViRGE/VX
xw32 w32, w32i, w32p, et6000
xsvga Trident, Cirrus, and other SVGA cards not listed above
Use installpkg to install the Xserver. Then run xf86config
to configure the Xserver. Most people have difficulty with
xf86config. There is an easier, point-and-click configuration
utility: XF86Setup. To use it, you need to install an extra
package: xset.tgz (you will find it in the same directory as
the other Slackware X packages).

  • [BL] XServer, Yong Beng Ong, 05/06/2003
    • Re: [BL] XServer, qwms-avib, 05/06/2003