baslinux - Re: [BL] 2mf fails

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 2mf fails
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 07:38:50 +0000

Andrew Langdon-Davies wrote:

> All my attempts to run make_fd fail at the 2nd
> floppy format stage. 2mf gives 'general failure
> - incorrect density?'

The BL2 filesystem image is too big to fit on a
standard 1.44mb floppy disk, so a special format
(2mf) is used. It formats an ordinary floppy disk
to 1.8mb.

> and floppy is rendered unreadable.

It is unreadable in standard DOS. You need to execute
2mb first. That gives DOS the ability to see 1.8mb
floppies.

> I have another machine running Linux/Win95 which I am
> using for downloads and for preparing floppies

Different floppy drives can have different alignments. If
you write a floppy on one drive and read it on a different
drive, there can be problems retrieving the data. This is
more likely to occur with 1.8mb floppies.

I suggest you try BL1. It has a smaller filesystem, which
fits on a 1.44mb floppy. It does not use 2mf.