baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 1.10 alpha RAMDISK

  • From: "Krzysztof A. Suchecki" <christopher.suchecki AT wp.pl>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 1.10 alpha RAMDISK
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 11:01:32 +0200

qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> I'm not surprised. The libraries/binaries in Slack39
> are somewhat larger than those in Slack35. Nevertheless,
> 410kb is not too bad -- that's about the same as BL2.

Nearly each library/binary adds a few bytes.
BTW Imagine that in SLack 3.9 init from sysvinit is
nearly 190kb in comparison with 30kb from Slack 3.5 -
but I used this from BL 1.8 :)

> You may also be able to reduced the size of the gzip
> by zero-ing bytes before creating the filesystem:
> dd if=/dev/zero of=baslinux bs=1k count=4096
> mk2efs -i8192 -m0 baslinux 4096

exactly the same - loop is sth I missed the most in
Win*s world.

> > so you have to use 2m to fit it on a floppy :(
>
> Yes, it looks like it will be too big to fit on a
> normal floppy (unless you remove something). Perhaps
> we should be thinking about an ISO (rather than a
> floppy version)?

Go and find _bootable_ cd-rom in old PCs :)
OK, there were talks in FreeDOS developers list
about boot manager letting booting from CD-ROM
on old PC - but it has to be installed into MBR.

Chris

Dowiedz się teraz o czym jutro napiszą w gazetach!
Zobacz całkiem nowy serwis! < http://wiadomosci.wp.pl >