baslinux - Re: [BL] Installation NOW COMPLETE

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Installation NOW COMPLETE
  • Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 07:31:55 +1000

Hi Sindi,

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:31:25 -0400 (EDT), sindi keesan wrote:

> The Links 2.1.9 posted by JP (and then Steven) was compiled statically
> with libpng.tgz so you don't need to add that.

That is the one I have installed.

> Links 2.1.9 is using the same configuration file that I set up for
> Links 0.93.

The same here, but because I have set some configuration parameters
with Links.2.1.9. , I find Links-0.93 doesn't like that at all and
gives line after line of ..not understood.. so I don't use Links-0.93
anymore, and I have removed all mention of it from .profile

> I don't follow why you would use an S3 driver for a Tseng card. None of
> my Tseng cards have anything to do with S3. The Tseng cards have a Tseng
> chip, the S3 cards an S3 chip.
> My book lists:
> XSVGA.tgz - server for Super VGA-based boards (including Tseng ET4000)
> XS3.tgz - server for S3-based boards
> (I think S3 Virge has its own X server).

Yep, I was writing quickly and from (poor) memory. I have actually
installed xsvga.tgz as well as xset.tgz and tried to configure it. The
graphic mode was so slow and clumsy, and I was not able to set anything,
and I ended up re-installing xvga16.tgz because I even failed to startx
- Xserver not found !

Next experiment will be svgalib.tgz.

But at 33 MHz, even a setup takes a long time. It is actually much
quicker to run Arachne, in DOS, with full graphics.

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke
http://homepages.valylink.net.au/~ausreg/index.html