baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 and Lynx 2.8.4-ssl and Opera 6 - no crashes (yet)

  • From: Howard Eisenberger <howarde AT gmx.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 and Lynx 2.8.4-ssl and Opera 6 - no crashes (yet)
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:23:01 -0400

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 09:33:22AM -0400, sindi keesan wrote:

> I looked in mailcap and it calls for a lot of programs that I do not have
> - xpdf, xloadimage, mozilla. I see 'Debian' in mailcap too. This mailcap
> does not seem suitable for use with bl2.

It works for me, but, as I said, you don't have to use it.

> I put it into /etc as instructed
> but I also uncommented and revised the viewer lines to use seejpeg and
> that seems to override mailcap and I am viewing images with seejpeg.
>
> Where did this mailcap come from, was it set up by Debian? Would it be
> better to delete it and start over? Will leaving it in /etc cause any
> problems if Lynx starts looking for things that are not there?

Since you are using the VIEWER settings, you can just comment out
the GLOBAL_MAILCAP=/etc/mailcap line in lynx.cfg and delete the
mailcap file.

> > Not with BL, but my Umax 2200 works with my Adaptec 2940 SCSI
> > card using sg.o module and the SANE driver. I've only used it
> > a few times, but it seems fine. Anything SCSI seems to work
> > with Linux. There is also a USB interface, but I didn't have
> > any luck at all with that.
>
> My scanner came with a card that it plugs into. The books say this
> card won't work with Linux - why?

I guess there is no Linux driver for the card.

> We only use the scanner to make an
> occasional photocopy. We have a few cards marked SCSI port - are they
> suitable for using with a scanner in a Linux computer, or do I need a SCSI
> controller card and SCSI module?

I don't really know. All the reading I did suggested that SCSI
scanners usually worked better in Linux with a standard SCSI card
than with a card supplied with the scanner. My scanner (used) did
not come with a card, but with a USB cable and a MAC (I think)
SCSI cable, so I had to buy an external cable (not cheap). Once I
connected it to the 2940 card in my PC, it worked fine with the
SANE software.

Howard E.