baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 and Lynx 2.8.4-ssl and Opera 6 - no crashes (yet)

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 and Lynx 2.8.4-ssl and Opera 6 - no crashes (yet)
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:13:52 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, sindi keesan wrote:
> In my dos version I set lynx to display pdf files with pdftotext and I
> will look for that in Slackware 7.1. Faster than ghostscript.

This sounded interesting, so I did a little googling on the subject. So
far as I can tell, pdftotext is not available as an independent package.
Rather, it is part of the much larger (5MB?) xpdf package. If you manage
to find a utility that does this other than the one in the xpdf package,
please let us know.

James

PS Maybe there's a pdf2html that would be smaller and would work just as
well?
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:33:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Howard Eisenberger wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 06:22:33PM -0400, sindi keesan wrote:
What is mailcap used for?

> You don't have to use a mailcap file, but if you read the VIEWER
> section in lynx.cfg, you would have seen that all the VIEWER
> defininitions were commented out and the GLOBAL_MAILCAP was set
> to /etc/mailcap in the next section instead. It also explains
> that this is the preferred way of doing it. That's the way it's
> set up on my main (Debian) box, so I did it that way.

I looked in mailcap and it calls for a lot of programs that I do not have
- xpdf, xloadimage, mozilla. I see 'Debian' in mailcap too. This mailcap
does not seem suitable for use with bl2. I put it into /etc as instructed
but I also uncommented and revised the viewer lines to use seejpeg and
that seems to override mailcap and I am viewing images with seejpeg.

Where did this mailcap come from, was it set up by Debian? Would it be
better to delete it and start over? Will leaving it in /etc cause any
problems if Lynx starts looking for things that are not there?

I will look for pdftotext (console) for Linux and put that in lynx.cfg
instead of xpdf, and replace seejpeg with zgv (after you post that).

> > Has anyone in the group used Linux with a scanner.
>
> Not with BL, but my Umax 2200 works with my Adaptec 2940 SCSI
> card using sg.o module and the SANE driver. I've only used it
> a few times, but it seems fine. Anything SCSI seems to work
> with Linux. There is also a USB interface, but I didn't have
> any luck at all with that.

My scanner came with a card that it plugs into. The books say this card
won't work with Linux - why? We only use the scanner to make an
occasional photocopy. We have a few cards marked SCSI port - are they
suitable for using with a scanner in a Linux computer, or do I need a SCSI
controller card and SCSI module?

> Howard E.

Sindi Keesan