baslinux - Re: [BL] More troubles

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] More troubles
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:28:24 +0000

David Moberg wrote:

> But it really doesn't matter... the logging wouldn't
> cause the login to stop working anyway, or would it?

Logging shouldn't have any effect. However, I don't
know what happens when you run debug without a syslogd
to take the output. Probably nothing. But when you
have an unknown problem, you shouldn't take anything
for granted.

> > Four separate prompts?
> > Two passwords?
>
> Yes, my ISP is a little strange in its
> non-standard authentication methods.

Is the second username/password for POP3, perhaps?

> > A password line is unnecessary if you are
> > doing your own expect/reply pairs (unless your
> > ISP is doing PAP/CHAP authentication in
> > addition to the login script).
>
> But it doesn't hurt to leave it in,

We cannot make that assumption. eznet was written
by an individual for known situations (to him). If
you use an unusual configuration, you cannot be sure
how his code will handle it.

> and I think it does, in fact, use PAP/CHAP in addition
> to the terminal scripts.

Are you suggesting that in order to get into your ISP,
you must first authenticate with PAP/CHAP, then with a
login and then with another login? All using the same
password??!!

It is not uncommon for ISPs to offer both PAP/CHAP and a
login script (enabling users to authenticate with either
method). They are usually old ISPs which used a login
script when they started (before PAP/CHAP became the norm).
They keep the login script to maintain compatibility with
their older users and they provide PAP/CHAP for their new
users. Unfortunately this EITHER/OR authentication method
is flakey and sometimes it misses valid authenication attempts
from login scripts.

I can see no reason why an ISP would require *both* PAP/CHAP
and a login script (unless the script was providing additional
information beyond username/password).

> > What's %5Cr ?
>
> That's a carriage return after the prompt. I wasn't sure
> if I needed to send another CR, so I put it in anyway.

%5Cr doesn't mean carriage return to me. Perhaps I missed
something in the eznet documentation?

> > 29 seconds is a long time to get the OK from
> > the modem. I get the OK in one second.
>
> I know, and in Mandrake and Windows, with the same
> modem, the OK only takes about one second.

There is the problem. You need to figure out why your
modem is not communicating properly.

> But for some reason, in BL it takes significantly longer.

Mandrake and Windows are "user-friendly" operating systems,
designed to anticipate problems and make life as simple as
possible for the user. Devices are automatically detected
and configured, potential conflicts are bypassed.

BasicLinux is not a "user-friendly" operating system.
It requires greater understanding and hands-on involvement.

> > > 57:55.790 Send: "at&d3\r"
> >
> > Where did that init string come from? Do you have
> > an init line in eznet.config that you didn't mention?
>
> I don't know where it came from. I gave you the
> full eznet.conf file.

Then it must have come from eznet itself. Perhaps a
desperate attempt to get some sense from the modem?

> It's an X2 modem... it can connect at 31200 with
> a V.90 ISP, or at 46,666 with an X2 ISP.

Those numbers seem strange. Is it an unusual modem?

> I have a soundcard that BL detects as on ttyS0
> and ttyS1.

That looks like trouble. Your ttyS1 is probably
sharing the IRQ with your modem. I suggest you
remove the sound card and see if that helps.

> Also, there's a winmodem that Windows
> detects on COM3.

I don't know a lot about winmodems, but I'm surprised
Linux didn't see something on /dev/ttyS2. I suppose
Windows could be using an auto-configuration trick to
put the Winmodem at COM3 (when it is actually somewhere
else). I suggest you remove the winmodem as well as
the soundcard. I'm not convinced that the soundcard
is really on two ports. It seems more likely that the
winmodem is on one of them.

> > 20 seconds (!) to start dialing. That's not
> > right. I suspect something is clashing with
> > your modem.
>
> But what could it be? In Mandrake, nothing
> clashes and it works perfectly with KPPP.

Mandrake has many capabilities and auto-configuration
wizards that are not in BasicLinux. In some respects,
Mandrake is more like Windows than BL.

> But it works fine with 2 other OSs. So what can
> I try?

Simplify the hardware, remove potential clashes.
I suspect the soundcard or the winmodem is on the
same IRQ as your modem.