baslinux - Re: [BL] More troubles

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] More troubles
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:15:59 +0000

David Moberg wrote:

> I hope there's no message size limit!

40kb I think.

> [eznet.conf]:

> 0 debug yes

The debug parameter sends debugging output to syslog
(but you have to turn on syslogd to see it). It is
recorded in /var/log/messages. However, most of the
debug output will be related to what pppd does after
eznet has logged in. Your problem is prior to that.

> 0 expect1 Login:
> 0 expect2 Password:
> 0 expect3 Username:
> 0 expect4 Password:

Four separate prompts?
Two passwords?

> 0 password MyPass

A password line is unnecessary if you are doing
your own expect/reply pairs (unless your ISP is
doing PAP/CHAP authentication in addition to the
login script).

> 0 phone 3384209
> 0 reply1 MyLogin%5Cr
> 0 reply2 MyPass%5Cr
> 0 reply3 MyLogin%5Cr
> 0 reply4 MyPass%5Cr

This is weird. Username repeated, password repeated.
You must have a really strange ISP. What's %5Cr ?

> 0 tty /dev/ttyS3
> 0 user MyLogin

A user line is unnecessary if you are doing your
own expect/reply pairs.

> [transcript.0 (log file of connection attempt)]
>
> /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS3 57600 connect
> '/usr/bin/eznet chat 0' defaultroute lock modem mtu
> 552 mru 552 debug crtscts -detach idle 300 user
> MyLogin remotename x0
> 57:26.200 Send: "atz\r"
> 57:45.780 Recv: "atz\r"
> 57:55.240 Skip: "\r\n"
> 57:55.790 Recv: "OK\r\n"

29 seconds is a long time to get the OK from the modem.
I get the OK in one second.

> 57:55.790 Send: "at&d3\r"

Where did that init string come from? Do you have an
init line in eznet.config that you didn't mention?

> 58:15.810 Recv: "at&d3\r"
> 58:25.270 Skip: "\r\n"
> 58:25.820 Recv: "OK\r\n"

And this one takes 30 seconds to produce the OK.
Something is strange here. What speed modem is it?
>From your tty line it looks like your modem is on
COM4 -- is that correct? Have you got anything
(mouse?) on COM2? What IRQ are you using for the
modem? What do you get when you do:
--------------------
setserial /dev/ttyS3
--------------------

> 58:25.820 Send: "atd3384209\r"
> 58:45.840 Recv: "atd3384209\r"

20 seconds (!) to start dialing. That's not right.
I suspect something is clashing with your modem.

> 59:05.310 Skip: "\r\n"
> 59:05.860 Recv: "CONNECT 57600\r"

20 seconds to dial and connect is normal.

> 59:05.860 Match: "CONNECT"
> 59:09.050 Send: "\r"

It looks like eznet waited 4 seconds to get a prompt
from your ISP. Then sent a \r to wake it up.

> 59:13.010 Send: "\r"

Another 4 seconds of waiting.

One possible explanation is that your modem was
"out to lunch" when the ISP sent the prompt, so
eznet never got it.

> 59:35.780 Recv: "UQKT2 "
> 59:39.080 Recv: "UQKT2 "
> 59:39.080 Fail
>
> I'm assuming that "Send: '\r'" means a carriage
> return. Is that correct?

Yes.

> Also, what does UQKT2 mean?

I don't know. Something your ISP sent (twice, with
a 4 second pause).

> I hope this helps.

I don't think eznet is the problem. There appears
to be an underlying problem with your modem, which
needs to be sorted out first.