baslinux - Re: [BL] DOS to Linux file transfer with Kermit via nullmodem cable

  • From: Howard Eisenberger <howarde AT gmx.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] DOS to Linux file transfer with Kermit via nullmodem cable
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 00:38:39 -0400

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 12:32:35PM +0000, ichi AT aggies.org wrote:
> Post by non-member to a members-only list.
> From: keesan2 AT grex.org
> Moderator to approve or deny.
> >
> > [nullmodem cable]
> >
> > First thing you need to do is remove the # from the line in inittab
> > s1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L 19200 ttyS0 vt100. This I think
> > lets you log in from a real terminal as a fifth login in addition
> > to the four virtual terminals (c1-c4).
>
> Slightly more complicated is the BL-BL solution. Using the
> template in netsetup, establish a PLIP (for parallel cable)
> or SLIP (for serial cable) network between the computers.
> Do a ping to be sure it's working. Then execute 'receive'
> on one computer and 'send' on the other
>
> As for a DOS-BL transfer. The only way I can think of is
> to used a DOS packetdriver to set up a TCP/IP network and
> then run a DOS server (HTTP, NFS, FTP) that one of the BL
> clients can access.

Alternately, once you have (a)getty running on a serial port
in BL with a null modem cable, you can use a terminal program
from any OS to log in to the BL box and then use zmodem (or
kermit) to transfer files. It's just like a dialup unix shell
account except you don't have to dialup.

Howard E.
>From ichi AT aggies.org Tue Apr 15 02:40:39 2003
> Alternately, once you have (a)getty running on a serial port
> in BL with a null modem cable, you can use a terminal program
> from any OS to log in to the BL box and then use zmodem (or
> kermit) to transfer files.

Can that be done solely from the terminal program side,
or does it need a version of kermit/zmodem on the BL side?