baslinux - Re: [BL] telnet and lynx

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] telnet and lynx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 19:47:38 -0400 (EDT)

Sindi Keesan
> > When I dial in with minicom or kermit I don't have this problem.
> > When I telnet in I think it is identifying somehow as VT100 and
> > when dialing in it identifies as terminal type linux.

Actually I think it is identifying as linux both times but my bbs does not
recognize that as a terminal type and assigns dumb terminal type, which
does not work with Lynx (it is okay with Pine).

Steven Darnold:
> If you do the following, it should tell you the type:
> ----------
> echo $TERM
> ----------

It should, but it won't. I type that and get another prompt.
This is SunOS 4, which is sort of screwy. I will ask the bbs members
about this. I can type set and it tells me term vt100 (after I have set
it to that during login).

> > Is there some easy way to fix things so telnet identifies my
> > terminal type as linux,
>
> I think you can change the terminal type (after the remote login)
> by doing this:
> ----------
> TERM=linux
> ----------
> Note: there is no $ prefix for TERM in this one.

If I type this it tells me command not found TERM:

I have been able to use lynx at my second account (set up for baslinux
list mail), which I did not tell to force VT100. It asks me the terminal
type (says it is unknown) and if I type Enter it tells me Type lynx
unknown and again TERM (unknown) and Enter gets me past this, then Lynx
wants to know the terminal type. I tell it linux, which it accepts, and
Lynx works fine then, but Pine refuses to run because it has an unknown
terminal type. I don't recall how my first account was set up.

So I tried entering VT100 as terminal type during login. Lynx and Pine
both work (did not try with Cyrillic, which in DOS needed VT320). I will
ask the bbs members how to deal with the original account where I am not
asked my terminal type. It assigns me to dumb terminal mode when it is
somehow told linux which it does not recognize. So I need a way to set
vt100 at that account, which I will figure out. May be something like
setenv.

Better yet, rather than telnetting there to run lynx and send mail with
attachments, I should be using lynx on my own computer with a mail program
that will attach binary files that I have downloaded using Lynx. Still
hoping for some suggestions. I also send my work (translations) as
binary attachments. Currently I kermit them to the bbs and then send with
Pine. Will Pine work on BL2?

BL2 is not just an operating system, it is an education. Many thanks to
all.