b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] To Bless and Pools of Water

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Chris Watts <dekruidnootjes AT eircom.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] To Bless and Pools of Water
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 17:27:25 -0400

I suspect that the relationship to linen yarn comes by way of thinking about קוה QWH
as a form of קו QAW (related, methinks, to גב GAB, 'high'), 'line', as in 1Ki. 7:23.
A line is but a long piece of linen, a lint, from the latin linum, 'flax', or lana, 'wool'.

A soft string tautly stretched between two points makes a straight (namely, extending continuously in the same direction without curving) line.

Isaac Fried, Boston University