b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] To Bless and Pools of Water

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: Chris Watts <dekruidnootjes AT eircom.net>, "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] To Bless and Pools of Water
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 02:10:31 +0000

Chris,

There is debate about the connection between ברך (knee) and ברך (to bless); they may or may not be related. However, ברכה (pool) is probably a distinct word which, although using the same root letters, is unrelated. However, that's not a definitive conclusion, as the etymology of ברכה (pool) is not fully known.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia