b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hitpael 1st pers plural bow down/worship

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "J. Leake" <jesleake AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hitpael 1st pers plural bow down/worship
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 21:38:59 +0100 (BST)

Petr, the difference between the root שחה and השתחוה is an extension by gemation of the last letter, which does otherwise occur in, say, the Arabic if'alla and if'ālla. But alhough you and I are both certain this is a hištaph'el, that's not how it was understood as in Biblical times.

Karl, the שחה forms you are talking about are back-formations from השתחוה as it was no longer seen as being a hišaph'el from חוה but a hithpa'lel from שחה. Note that the words are both few and late in date. The medieval Jewish grammarians who later classified Hebrew grammar on the model of Arabic grammatical models would have been aware of both the Arabic if'alla and the istaf'ala forms and they seem to have preferred the former option. Today we have a clearer picture of the structure of Semitic languages than they could have had then, and can see the development of the word.

John Leake

'inna SâHiba Hayâtin hanî'atin lâ yudawwinuhâ: 'innamâ, yaHyâhâ.
(He who lives a comfortable life doesn't write about it - he lives it.)
Tawfiq al-Hakim, Yawmiyyât Nâ'ib fil-'Aryâf.