b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] imperative

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] imperative
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 10:28:29 -0600

Hi Nir,

I appreciate our back and forth.  You have made some good observations in this last post.  Here are my counter-observations.

1. While Hag 2:4 does use the vocative H(M, the other plural imperatives in the book do not mention a specific addressee; H(M only occurs in 2:4.  This seems to be consistent with the way plural imperatives are used in the rest of the Hebrew Bible.  So while the singular imperative is quite often used to addressed a named collective, when and addressed group is un-named, the plural imperative is the preferred form.

2. 2 Sam 10:12 and 1 Chron 19:13.  Note that in this passage, Joab is the leader of one group, and he has made his brother, Abishai,  the leader of the other group.  The singular imperative is probably addressed most immediately to Abishai.  Notice in the preceding verses in both accounts that Joab uses singular verbs and pronouns: "If the Arameans are too strong for me (sing.), then you (sing.) will come and rescue me (sing.).  But if the Ammonites are too strong for you (sing.), then I will rescue you (sing.)."

3. 2 Chron 28:20.  Did you mean 1 Chron 28:20?  If so, the imperative there is addressed to Solomon.  If you did mean 2 Chron 28:20, XZQ there is a perfect form, not an imperative.

4. As a stative verb, XZQ would properly mean "be strong" in the Qal stem, and the Hithpael would not be needed.  In 2 Sam 10:12, the additional use of XZQ in the Hithpael stem probably involves the use of mutual encouragement between Joab and Abishai, and therefore the Hithpael is properly called for.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary