b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] imperative

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] imperative
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 21:03:45 -0200

hi jerry,

let me explain my remark better. you are abs. correct that XZQ has a plural
imperative form, XZQW, like any other root; but used as an encouragement term,
it is not used in a personalized way, but as an indiom put in quotes: like
"cheers", "jolly", "great", "fantastic" - an impersonal which is not to be
declined in any way.

you say "ceers, john" and you say "cheers, guys". both in the plural. this is
the analogy i see for the case of XZQ. of course, an imprecise analogy,
exactly because this formation does not exist in english.

nir cohen

>>>Hi Nir

Thanks for the perspective, but I'm going to disagree with you on this one.
It is a ms imperative. Remember that some verbs, especially statives, XZQ
being one of them, have an "a" theme vowel in the imperfect, and this "a"
theme vowel crosses over into the imperative. And XZQ does have plural
imperatival forms as well.

Blessings,

Jerry