b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew was linguistically isolated?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael Abernathy <mabernathy AT conwaycorp.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew was linguistically isolated?
  • Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 20:47:31 -0500

I am a bit double minded on this topic. On the one hand, prior to the twentieth century most cities were somewhat isolated.  I used to have a document that showed England had about twenty dialects within twenty miles of London in the 1890's.  It is my understanding that the English language did not come close to being standardized until we had both a published dictionary and a common Bible.

On the other hand, I seem to remember some of the most important trade routes to Egypt connecting with Mesopotamia, Syria, and Phoenicia ran right through Palestine.  Greek merchants were actively involved trading in this region early in the first millennium and I seem to remember a study strongly suggesting that Greek mercenaries lived in Jerusalem around the time of David.  As I understand it merchants commonly traveled from one village to another buying and selling local goods.  I have to consider it likely that they used a common trade language.

Earlier Hebrews may have used Egyptian for trade since at least in the Amarna period Egypt controlled much of the area.  During the period of the Judges, they dealt with the Moabites, Canaanites, Philistines, Midianites, etc.  With this in mind I find it difficult to imagine that Hebrew was ever isolated in any real sense.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy