b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew was linguistically isolated?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Barry <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew was linguistically isolated?
  • Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 22:51:54 -0400

On 4/9/2013 9:45 PM, George Athas wrote:
> I asked for comparison because when you say a language is 'isolated', it
> begs the question, 'Isolated from what and how?' My appeal to cognates
> was not to ask whether Hebrew was more isolated than these other
> languages, but rather how there is a connection and commonality with
> these languages at all in the first places (the fact there is one
> suggests anything but isolation). I suspect that what you mean by
> 'isolated' is 'static', such that Hebrew does not change at all across
> many centuries. Is that correct?

Does Biblical Hebrew essentially become a literary language, like Latin and Greek after a certain period, so that the "koine" continues the process of change, but everybody when writing attempts to conform to a particular standard? Or is there not enough extra-biblical Hebrew to confirm this?

--
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Semper melius Latine sonat