b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew was linguistically isolated?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew was linguistically isolated?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 01:45:46 +0000

I asked for comparison because when you say a language is 'isolated', it begs the question, 'Isolated from what and how?' My appeal to cognates was not to ask whether Hebrew was more isolated than these other languages, but rather how there is a connection and commonality with these languages at all in the first places (the fact there is one suggests anything but isolation). I suspect that what you mean by 'isolated' is 'static', such that Hebrew does not change at all across many centuries. Is that correct?

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia