b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:6, Adam was with Eve in the garden

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:6, Adam was with Eve in the garden
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 02:03:56 +0000

In the context of the story, Chris, no I don't think 'with her' is talking about the man with whom was she was living in the garden. It wouldn't be impossible, but it would be strange, given that they are the only two humans in the story. It would in that case seem to be a superfluous extra redundancy that quite plainly and simply is unneeded and unnecessary at all in any way, shape, or form.

Note, though, that we do eventually read about Cain possibly being killed by others, and taking a wife, at which point we start to wonder what the story hasn't told us. But that's later in the narrative.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia