b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:6, Adam was with Eve in the garden

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: C L <sigebryht AT yahoo.com>, "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:6, Adam was with Eve in the garden
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 06:46:00 +0000

Christopher,

While I agree with you that the man was there with the woman, I don't think your reasoning necessitates the conclusion. The snake could address the woman and still ask questions and make statements about both the woman and the man, even if the man were not there. You could, for example, talk to me about me and my wife without my wife being present. So the plural verbs doesn't necessitate the man being there. The use of the עמה is, I think, the strongest suggestion that the man was there, but I acknowledge that it's not the only conclusion.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia