b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:6, Adam was with Eve in the garden

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: C L <sigebryht AT yahoo.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>, "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:6, Adam was with Eve in the garden
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 00:05:29 -0800 (PST)

George,

Yes, I see your point about the use of the plural. For the sake of comparison, I might point out that the same could be true of "ustedes" in Spanish, or "Vy" in Russian. (Just as examples of the same phenomenon in other languages.)

Certainly, the occurrence of the plural address alone in this text doesn't NECESSITATE that the man be present. However, the text does have עמה
in 3:6, as you rightly note. Is it not possible to argue from context that עמה then influences our interpretation of the second-person masculine plural as a further attestation to the man's presence with his wife? In other words, I submit that the sum of all the features together rather strongly suggest that the man was standing right there - however, these features do not argue as strongly for such a conclusion if they are considered separately (though I doubt anyone here would argue for such a reading).

Perhaps that is the nuance needed here: The text suggests the man's presence rather strongly in the dialogue of 3:2-5, then we read עמה in 3:6: This seems to produce a dramatic turn. That is, after the suggestion that he is there by the plural forms, עמה makes an even more direct suggestion that he was right there.

But yes, this is an argument by weight of multiple pieces of evidence in the text. I admit that I find them fairly convincing.

Out of curiosity, Dr. Athas... Do you take a different view on this passage, or are you merely pointing out that other interpretations may be valid?

Respectfully,

Christopher Lovelace