b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 4:25 bridegroom of blood

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Zalman Romanoff <flintflintflintflint AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus 4:25 bridegroom of blood
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 14:43:54 -0500

IIRC, Umberto Cassuto, which no one seems to read anymore today,
writes that the Torah gives us here a toned down and refined/revised
version of what was most likely originally a poem full of gore. This
was a genre that reveled in…well, things and attitudes we find
offensive and so did the Torah. Same with Genesis 9:21-24.

Noam Eitan,
Brooklyn, NY