b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Exodus 4:25 bridegroom of blood

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <kenneth AT messianicmistakes.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Exodus 4:25 bridegroom of blood
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 10:32:31 -0800 (PST)

I know you are not supposed to discuss Hebrew Bible, but Biblical Hebrew
here, so I am not sure if this is an actual Biblical Hebrew question. Could
"bridegroom of blood" have actually have a literal meaning back then?

In Exodus 4:25 Zipporah circumcizes her son and says to him or Moses "you are
a bridegroom of blood to me because of the circumcision." Usually people say
she was talking to her husband Moses because she saved his life by doing the
circumcision because G-d wanted to kill him or the baby a few lines before
because Moses didn't circumcize the baby earlier.

Maybe a circumcized baby has blood on it's private parts and a bridegroom who
marries a virgin gets blood on his private parts sometimes? So, it might have
been an actual term for a man who married a virgin. It is a wild guess, but
it might be an ancient expression or just something she made up for the
situation.

Maybe the baby was like a bridegroom who had blood on his private parts but
from the circumcision. I may be wrong, but it is an interesting possibility.

Kenneth Greifer