b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] BZH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Chavoux Luyt <chavoux AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] BZH
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 22:09:18 +0200

Shalom

I think that we have established fairly well that BAZAH basically means "despise" (with whatever semantic range and origin) and SANA basically means "hate" (with whatever semantic range that entails).

What has not been mentioned, and might be more important IMHO, is the role of culture. In most mid-eastern languages (even in modern times), hyperbole is part of everyday language and perfectly understood by the hearers not to be literally meant. The basic differences in cultures are very well explained in the little book "Foreign to familiar" by Sarah A. Lanier. If the Bible (and other biblical Hebrew writings) was written in a basically "hot-climate" culture (as I believe) and we read it with "cold-climate" lenses, we are bound to misunderstand its meaning, even if we get the precise meaning of the words correct.

I think that both the "perfect" hate of evil doers (by David and not by God, by the way) and Jesus' word to "hate" those who are closest to you before being able to follow Him, or God loving Jacob, but hating Esau, are typical examples of how hyperbole is used in "hot-climate" cultures (and were perfectly understood by the hearers as not contradicting what is written elsewhere).

Just a thought.
Chavoux Luyt