b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] BZH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <hadeesh AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] BZH
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 11:34:10 -0800 (PST)

Allow me to correct  / clarify my own feeling about the word BZH.  It is not that I disagree that the word means "to despise" it is rather that I believe that it evolved to that meaning from an original meaning of "to spurn."  It also evolved into a meaning of "to plunder," because of the shade of meaning found in it that means "to set aside."  There are many related roots but unfortunately I do not have time to elaborate right now.  The most salient though would be B.Z.? (with an Aleph) meaning to divide (Is18:2).

David Kolinsky
Monterey, CA