b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 3ms vs 1cp pronominal suffixes on yiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Charles Grebe <animatedhebrew AT gmail.com>
  • To: Van Parunak <van AT parunak.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 3ms vs 1cp pronominal suffixes on yiqtol
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 12:54:32 -0500

Yes, I agree. The fact that the "poor and needy" in verse 6(heb) is expressed in the masculine plural and then likely as "him" at the end of the verse and that these parallel the 3mp and 3ms suffixes in verse 8 is compelling evidence that the antecedents of the suffixes in verse 8 are found in verse 6.

I just noticed that the Young's Literal Translation translated the "ennu" in verse 8 as 1cp "us". I have to wonder if they are translating the "ambiguous" form as plural or following one of the later manuscripts or the LXX. And why would the KJV translated it as 3mp?? I guess we'll never know what was in the minds of some of these translators, but if they regarded the "ennu" suffix as ambiguous, this would be one of the only examples.

Charles Grebe
Maniwaki, QC, Canada