b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] 3ms vs 1cp pronominal suffixes on yiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Charles Grebe <animatedhebrew AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] 3ms vs 1cp pronominal suffixes on yiqtol
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 12:10:33 -0500

I have a question about the pronominal suffix "ennu" (segol/nun with dagesh forte/shuruk) as found on yiqtol forms. My understanding is that this is an ambiguous form. It could be either 3rd masc singular (him/it) or first common plural (us). I'm wondering if this is really the case and how do we know that.

My question is prompted by Psalm 12:8, forth word - "tizterenu". The BHS/Leningrad text has segol/double nun/shuruk. I've also checked facsimiles of the following manuscripts.

Aleppo is the same as Leningrad with the segol and doubled nun.

Codex Bodmer 21 looks like it has the segol but it's pretty hard to read and I can't distinguish the nun.

ms. Heb 790 'Damascus Keter' clearly shows the segol and the doubled nun.

ms. Heb 1401 also clearly shows the segol and doubled nun.

The textual critical apparatus in the BHS indicates that a few Hebrew medieval manuscripts have a tsere and a single nun, though I don't know how to determine which manuscripts these are. My understanding is that this form is UN ambiguously 1cp (us).

Are there any instances in the tanach where the suffix with the segol and the doubled nun needs to be understood as first common plural?

thanks,
Charles Grebe
Maniwaki, Québec