b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Takliyth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Barry <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • To: Mike Burke <michaelgburk AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Takliyth
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2012 11:38:04 -0500

On 11/4/2012 10:33 AM, Mike Burke wrote:
> [...]
specifically with a theological issue, not a lexical one. Have a look
at the specific context of his statements:<<<<

I read the context, and I understand he's dealing with a theological
issue, but the quote seems to make much less sense if he mean "complete."

I hated in them their iniquities, I loved Your creation. This it is to
hate with a complete hatred, that neither on account of the vices thou
hate the men, nor on account of the men love the vices.

that it does not mean imputing the later developed idea
of "perfect" (i.e., morally without flaw) into the word, but that a
"complete" hatred can be exercised as long as the object of that hatred
is the proper object.<<<<

But the object would seem to be "them."

It doesn't make any sense to me (and I don't see how it could make any
sense to Augustine or his readers) to suggest that a "complete" hatred
of "them" was just a hatred of their vices, but it might make sense to
suggest that a (morally) perfect hatred of "them" was a hatred of their
vices.

Someone said TAKLIYT contains the idea of "goal, or purpose," did
"perfectum" contain the same idea (and could that have implied moral
perfection to Augustine)?

I have given what I think to be an adequate answer to your questions, and have not intention of pursuing it further. Having seen some of your posts on b-Greek, it seem clear to me that you have not studied any of the languages about which you are asking questions in any meaningful sense. I would suggest carefully listening to those who have.

--
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Semper melius Latine sonat