b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Takliyth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Will Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Takliyth
  • Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 20:41:06 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Pere,

I don't have anything to add to what others have responded to the
original query, but...

On Sat, 3 Nov 2012 08:09:11 +0100, Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com> wrote:
> As regards our word "takliyth" (as you're writing it) (*),
>
> (*) Are you aware of the transcription guidelines of Hebrew letters we use
> in this forum?
> If not, ask the moderators, please.

This kind of implies that the transcription "takliyth" is contrary to
what is expected in this mailing list, but I read on the BH web site:

-------
"B-Hebrew's official font encoding is UTF-8..."

"Having said that, the use of Unicode on B-Hebrew is not strictly
enforced. The principle is, when writing Hebrew or any non-Roman
script, make yourself understandable to your readers."
"If you expect other list members to respond to your posting, you need
to consider how cited Hebrew will appear to others."

"To that end, the writer of a B-Hebrew post has three basic choices
for writing Hebrew:

use Unicode,

use the Michigan ASCII transcription system,

or an ad hoc system of transcription."
-------

I seems to me that the OP's transciption "takliyth" is:

1) understandable to others

2) is allowed as an "ad hoc system"

(Admittedly, one might momentarily wonder whether the "k" for the kaph
was meant to represent a qoph, but anyone one on this list
contemplating the question will most likely be going to the Hebrew
text itself and will see the Hebrew spelling.)

--
Will Parsons
μη φαινεσθαι, αλλ' ειναι.