b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] L

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] L
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 14:00:38 -0400

1. I have never said that L is "high", but certainly what is high up is also high down, depending on the outlook.
Here: GE גא is tall, but GAY גיא is deep.
2. I really don't know if "there (is) a single culture in the world which defines "circle" as "two half-circles"."
3. I don't believe that "the phonetic repetition hints at an etymological repetition (but not doubling!) of the action."
4. OK, so what are SALAL, TALAL and $ALAL?

Isaac Fried, Boston University