b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Circle חוג

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Circle חוג
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 20:38:10 -0700

George:

How far back does “modern” understanding of the universe go? We have
ancient sources, well into BC, that considered the earth to be a sphere, a
mere speck in the vastness of space. On what basis would you say that
Isaiah may have not had that understanding? In particular, Ptolemy didn’t
propose a new idea of the universe’s vastness when he tried to measure the
diameter of the earth by using the difference in the length of shadows at
different places at the same time, as the sun is so far away that the sun’s
rays would be for all practical purposes parallel.

So what I am saying is that we cannot rule out that “sphere” was meant in
Isaiah 40:22 and Proverbs 8:27. In fact, the Isaiah verse reads better as a
sphere.

Be careful not to do the medieval error of taking Hebrew terminology, and
understanding it according to Greek thought patterns. Many times ancient
Hebrews used nouns to refer to functional equivalents of what was pictured
by the nouns, not static objects as was done in Greek philosophy. It was
the misreading of the text by the medievalists that gave rise to the
medieval cosmology, which is still trotted out as “Biblical cosmology” when
it never was Biblical cosmology.

See http://www.wikinfo.org/Multilingual/index.php/Hebrew_thought

Also don’t make the mistake of thinking that these different ways of
looking at the world are related to the languages, they aren’t. A good
example is the New Testament, written in Greek, but using Hebrew thought.

Job 22:14 talked about the “sphere” of the heavens.

Also, from the same root, “lathe” found in Isaiah 44:13 and the verb to go
around in circles Psalm 107:27.

Karl W. Randolph.