b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] יהוה vs הבעל

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Chavoux Luyt <chavoux AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] יהוה vs הבעל
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 18:45:06 +0200

Hi Philip

Philip,

If I understand you right, your proposed meaning of ha-baal is the exact
opposite of the way the definite article is used on a proper noun in
Biblical Hebrew. It seems you are saying that when "baal" has the definite
article, it is not a name, but "the husband". In English that would be
true, but in Hebrew it is the opposite. Baal can be a word or a proper
name. To refer to the name, Baal, rather than the word baal, in Hebrew you
put the definite article on it. So Ha-Baal means Baal the idol (unless the
context might refer to a previously-mentioned husband). Baal without the
definite article is usually the word baal, meaning husband, etc.

[…]

I think it is similar the elohim (gods) and ha'Elohim when talking about
the God (of Israel). The definite article is almost never translated into
English (except for using a capital 'G'). But once again, the context help
to determine the meaning, since sometimes Elohim without the article is
also used with singular verbs to still talk about the God of Israel (e.g.
Gen.1).

Shalom
Chavoux Luyt