b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] יהוה vs הבעל

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'Philip Hardy'" <technologist1 AT gmx.us>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] יהוה vs הבעל
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 20:49:12 -0400

Philip,

If I understand you right, your proposed meaning of ha-baal is the exact
opposite of the way the definite article is used on a proper noun in Biblical
Hebrew. It seems you are saying that when "baal" has the definite article,
it is not a name, but "the husband". In English that would be true, but in
Hebrew it is the opposite. Baal can be a word or a proper name. To refer to
the name, Baal, rather than the word baal, in Hebrew you put the definite
article on it. So Ha-Baal means Baal the idol (unless the context might refer
to a previously-mentioned husband). Baal without the definite article is
usually the word baal, meaning husband, etc.

I had asked a similar question on B-Hebrew in 2006 regarding place names, but
the same applies to personal names. Here's Yigal Levin's answer:
> Dear Steve,
>
> The general rule is that proper names don't need the article. However,
> proper names that are understood as descriptive may receive the
> article, since it's the article that makes them into proper names in
> the first place.
> For example, "Mizpeh" means "lookout". For a "lookout" to be a proper name,
> it would have to be "The Lookout". This might eventually develop into
> just "Lookout", if the place became so well-known that everyone would
> know which
> lookout was meant. Of course, one problem that we have is that we
> don't always know what the authors assumed that their readers would know.
>
> S. Noah Lee wrote an article on "The Use of the Definite Article in
> the Developement of some Biblical Toponyms" in Vetus Testamentum 53
> (2002), 334-349. I happen to have a photocopy. If you wish, contact me
> off-list and
> I'll email you a copy.
>
> Yigal

I have the pdf of the above article. It is well-written. If anyone wants a
copy, email me off-list, and I'll send you a copy.

Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
www.voiceInWilderness.info
Though an army should encamp against me,
my heart won't fear from anxiety.
Though a war rise up against me to rent,
in this thing I will be confident. (Ps 27:3)