b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] qamatz gadol qamatz qatan

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] qamatz gadol qamatz qatan
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 09:09:08 -0500

The lack of vowel after the S of ASNAT is in line with the NAQDANIYM's habit of economizing on the number of vowels in a Hebrew word, giving thereby the language a crisp pleasant (at least to my ears listening to my lips) sound: NAP$-KA, B-$IBT-KA, U-B-LEKT-KA, U- B-$AKB-KA, TI-ZKR-U
נַפְשְׁךָ, בְּשִׁבְתְּךָ, וּבְלֶכְתְּךָ, וּבְשָׁכְבְּךָ, תִּזְכְּרוּ
etc.

If I understand it correctly, you are saying that the double n in the Greek rendering of the name is merely to indicate that the stress is on NE – to read the name as aseNEt.

Isaac Fried, Boston University