b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] qamatz gadol qamatz qatan

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] qamatz gadol qamatz qatan
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 17:01:46 -0800

Isaac:

Look at the Masoretic points, and you can see that the second vowel had
completely dropped out by the time of the Masoretes. What the doubled
consonant following that second vowel in the LXX indicates is that the
preceding vowel is unstressed at the time of the LXX pronunciation, but
still present.

But even the LXX pronunciation is not the same as Biblical pronunciation.
The latter has been lost, and I see no way it can be recovered. But we can
still read the text.

Karl W. Randolph.