b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 25:21 לנכח on behalf of?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 25:21 לנכח on behalf of?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 05:39:45 -0800

Pere:

נכח is used as a verb in Exodus 14:2, Isaiah 57:2, and it looks like in
Ezekiel 46:9, except none of these is an infinitive. We don’t expect that a
verb that is used this seldom will be found in all its grammatical forms.

The verbal use seems to have the meaning of “to go towards the front, i.e.
straight forward” with derivatives “in front of” and metaphorically
referring to people as “upfront, straight” sort of people, i.e. honest,
true, frank.

It is while reading for meaning and realizing that all the other uses of נכח
and its derivatives refer to going to the front, or as adjectives being in
front or an upfront person, that the idea that this may be a verb to place
his wife up front of God makes sense.

Karl W. Randolph.