b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Genesis 25:21 לנכח on behalf of?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Genesis 25:21 לנכח on behalf of?
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 06:44:04 -0800

Dea B-Hebrew Fellows:

Every time *נכח* is used, it refers to the action of going towards the
front, straight forward. The one exception seems to be Genesis 25:21.

Are we dealing with a homograph? Or is this an infinitive verb with the
idea of presenting his wife before the Lord in his prayers? We can’t count
on the Masoretic points always to be correct, so we have to be ready to
think outside of the box when there are questions.