b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] k'ehad mimenou

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] k'ehad mimenou
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 17:52:26 +0200

Dear Uzi,

The issues you raise are all legitimate issues, and, as Uri pointed out,
would take forever to cover. Obviously there is progression in the way
different biblical books "picture" God. Since, unfortunately, we do not have
any Iron-Age Hebrew literature besides the Bible, we have no way of knowing
whether God was commonly called Elohim, Eloah, El or whatever. My impression
is that Elohim, as a plural form that is used as if it were singular, was a
poetic form which was the adopted for other contexts as well, but I have no
way of proving this. I think that in this context, it is possible that the
writer imagined God as using a "royal We".

Best,

Yigal