b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] k'ehad mimenou

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] k'ehad mimenou
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 19:26:56 +0200

Uzi, while this is undoubtedly correct, the writers/editors of the Bible
were monotheists, who were very careful to weed out polytheistic views (they
admitted that such views existed, but did not express them themselves). So
the question is, what was the monotheistic writer of Genesis (P? E?
whatever) thinking. In my understanding, he used "Elohim" as singular. Who
Elohim was addressing here is a more complex issue.

Yigal Levin