b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Names of Rachel's Second-Born Son

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Names of Rachel's Second-Born Son
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 20:43:52 -0400

A Hebrew personal name is not a grammatically structured word. YOSEP need not be from the root YSP, but is reasonably the compound YO-SEP with the theophoric component YO = YA, as in YA-AQOB.
One may equally well partition BENYAMIYN as BEN-YA-AMIYN.
I can hardly see a mother in her right mind calling her child Son-of- my-right-hand (hand made?), or Look-a-son, or He-will-laugh, ect.

Isaac Fried, Boston University